Definition of dependent children with new age limit
Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
- they’re under 22 years old, and
- they don’t have a spouse or partner
Dependants over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
- they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
- they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
How to find out if your child qualifies as a dependant – permanent residence (immigrate)
Follow these two steps to find out if your child qualifies as a dependant:
1. Check the lock-in date for your program or category.
2. Make sure your child meets the age limit and requirements before including them as a dependant on your application.
How to find out if your child qualifies as a dependant – temporary residence (work, study, visit)
Your dependant must meet the age limit and requirements in force at the time we receive your temporary residence application.
See the list of requirements in force for dependants if we received your visitor visa, study permit or work permit application:
- on or before July 31, 2014
- between August 1, 2014, and October 23, 2017
- on or after October 24, 2017
Your dependent children must complete their own application forms…
To read the full release, click here.