Prime minister rearranges key cabinet ministers days before Donald Trump installed as U.S. president
John McCallum, 65, served as defence minister under former prime minister Jean Chrétien and presided over the veteran affairs file in former prime minister Paul Martin’s cabinet. He led Canada’s efforts to bring 39,500 Syrian refugees to Canada.Outgoing immigration minister John McCallum will be named Canada’s ambassador to China after a “distinguished career in public service.”Ahmed Hussen, the Liberal MP for the Toronto-area riding of York South-Weston, is Canada’s new minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship
The swearing-in ceremony for the new ministers is taking place at Rideau Hall and CBCNews.ca is carrying it live.
Changes announced today:
- Chrystia Freeland has been appointed Canada’s new minister of foreign affairs
- François-Philippe Champagne becomes minister of international trade.
- Patty Hajdu moves from status of women to labour.
- Maryam Monsef transfers from democratic institutions to status of women.
- Karina Gould is named minister of democratic institutions.
- Ahmed Hussen becomes minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship.
Read the full article here