This article was originally posted on the Government of Canada website; to read the full release, click here

“Notice – Work permit pilot extended to 2019 for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

Notice – Spousal/Common-Law Partner Work Permit Pilot Extended to 2019Ottawa, December 15, 2017 – …The Government of Canada is extending the open work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class until January 31, 2019…

To be eligible for an open work permit, you must be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada who is being sponsored under the SCLPC class. You must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker) and live at the same address as your sponsor.

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet received approval in principle under the SCLPC class, or have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application…you may apply for an open work permit online.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before it expires.

If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence…”

To read the full release (including mailing addresses for fees and applications), click here.