March 15, 2021
Regulatory amendments to introduce an Expression of Interest system for the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
The Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development will introduce an Expression of Interest system for the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP). On March 15, 2021, the government filed the following amending regulations made under the Ontario Immigration Act, 2015 to introduce an Expression of Interest system:
- Ontario Regulation 422/17 (General)
- Ontario Regulation 421/17 (Approvals under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program and Other Matters)
The Expression of Interest system will help the Ontario Government:
- strategically manage intake
- increase the OINP’s labour market responsiveness
- better respond to regional labour market needs
The Expression of Interest system will apply to the following OINP streams:
- Employer Job Offer Category streams (Foreign Worker, International Student and In-Demand Skills)
- Masters Graduate stream
- Ph.D. Graduate stream
These streams are currently closed to new applicants. They will open for new applicants when the Expression of Interest system launches in the coming weeks.
The Expression of Interest system is a points-based registration system that helps the government select skilled economic immigrants to meet the province’s labour market needs.
By registering, you are only expressing an interest to apply to the OINP. It is not an application to the OINP or for permanent residence. You can only apply to the OINP under an Expression of Interest-based stream if you have been invited to apply.