Who is eligible to get an Open Bridge Work Permit?

Open Bridge PermitAny applicants currently in Canada who has submitted a permanent resident application under:

  • the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP);
  • the Canadian experience class (CEC);
  • the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP); or
  • the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

may apply for a bridging work permit if their current work permit will soon expire.

Those qualified applicants must meet the following conditions:

  1. The applicant is currently in Canada;
  2. The applicant has a valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
  3. The applicant is the Principal applicant;
  4. The applicant has received a positive eligibility assessment on his PR application as noted in the above;
  5. The applicant has made application for an open work permit.

The following applicants do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

  1. Applicants in Canada with work permit exempted situations, such as religious workers;
  2. Applicants have let their status expire and must apply for restoration first;
  3. Applicants have work permits that are valid for longer than 4 months and/or already have a new Labour Market Impact Assessment that can be used for a new work permit;
  4. Applicants apply for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.
  5. Spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident

If you have any individual questions or concerns, please contact our office for more customized consultation for your unique situation.  Please note that this posting is for general information only and is not to be considered binding or official legal counsel since situations will vary and can be complicated. The content in this post is current as of the day of entry. Due to the changing nature of Immigration law, the information in this entry may or may not still be applicable