Notice: Our office will be closed to the public December 17, 2022 to January 9th, 2023.
For all our current and past clients, we will continue working on your files and responding through the holidays. Though please be advised that our response time may be delayed due to the high volume of work during this season.

On interview with CBC News, Jennifer Roggemann explained that there are two types of permits for temporary workers in Canada:

This post is an excerpt of an article originally posted by Robin De Angelis (CBC News) on Feb 27, 2019. To read the full article, click here

Temporary Work Permit CanadaEmilio Carro was just days away from finalizing his application to become a permanent Canadian resident when his life suddenly changed.

Carro is one of more than 800 employees of Erwin Hymer Group North America (EHGNA) who were suddenly terminated after the Cambridge RV company filed for receivership on Feb. 15.

In the meantime, Carro can’t get a new job to support his family because his work permit is tied to EHGNA.

Jennifer Roggemann, an immigration lawyer based in Kitchener, said there are two types of permits for temporary workers in Canada.

An open permit allows someone to work for any employer and in any province, while a closed permit is tied to a specific employer, job and location.

When someone with a closed permit loses their job, they can still live in Canada temporarily, but they cannot simply find a new job.

To read the full article, click here