In order to qualify for immigration to Canada under the new Federal Skilled Trades Class, you must meet the following minimum requirements:

1. You intend to reside in a province other than the province of Quebec;

2. You meet or exceed a minimum language proficiency level;

3. In the past five years, you have acquired a minimum of two years of full-time work experience (or the equivalent in part-time experience) since being fully qualified in your trade;

4. You have met the relevant employment requirements of that skilled trade occupation as set out in the National Occupation Classification (2011 Version), except license by provincial authority; and

5. You have an offer of employment for continuous full-time work in that skilled trade occupation, for a total period of at least one year, from up to two employers OR you hold a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Acceptable Trade Occupation List:

Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades;

Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades;

Major Group 82 – supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production;

Major Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;

Major Group 632 – chefs and cooks;

Major Group 633 – butchers and bakers.

For more information and to discuss your specific immigration needs, please contact our office.

If you have any individual questions or concerns, please contact our office for more customized consultation for your unique situation.  Please note that this posting is for general information only and is not to be considered binding or official legal counsel since situations will vary and can be complicated. The content in this post is current as of the day of entry. Due to the changing nature of Immigration law, the information in this entry may or may not still be applicable.